Brite Smile Teeth Whitening at your Raleigh Dentist
At Six Forks Smiles, your Raleigh Dentist, we see many patients come in for teeth whitening. In fact, it is one of the most popular cosmetic dentistry procedures worldwide, as just about everyone wants their smile to be pearly white. In order to meet this demand, we use a system called Brite Smile. Brite Smile is one of the best investments you can make in yourself, as a beaming smile can open many doors. This revolutionary technology is clinically proven to get your teeth their whitest, and whitens teeth by an average of 8 shades! Over 800,000 happy clients worldwide have had the Brite Smile procedure and are now the happy owners of new, glowing smiles.
What Can Stain Your Teeth?
Although tooth enamel is the hardest substance in the body, it is not as smooth as it looks or feels. In fact, there are numerous microscopic ridges and depressions covering your teeth. These can easily become stained by repeated exposure to substances such as:
- Red wine
All of these substances contribute significantly to staining teeth. Your Raleigh dentist understands that many people find some of these substances to be part of their day to day routine and don’t want to quit them. There are ways to mitigate the staining, however. Good dental hygiene such as brushing teeth helps to slow the staining, as does rinsing your mouth out with water after drinking wine, coffee or soda. If, however, you have tooth staining that has already become set into your teeth, Brite Smile is the procedure for you
How Brite Smile Teeth Whitening Works
- Brite Smile whitening gel is carefully applied to your teeth. This gel is a 15% hydrogen peroxide solution that has been proven to be safe and painless. A fraction of patients might feel a dull ache after the procedure, which can be cured by most any painkiller.
- The gel is then activated by Brite Smile’s patented gentle blue light for 20 minutes while you relax and watch TV or listen to music. This light serves not only to activate the gel but also to assist in removing stains.
- This process is repeated twice more before you go home with a naturally brilliant new smile (and your personal “Before & After” photos).
The in-office process usually lasts around an hour, and you leave our Raleigh dentist office with a significantly whiter smile!
Maintaining Your New, White Teeth
After the procedure is done, it will usually last around 3 years. However, this duration can be lengthened by good dental hygiene such as regular brushing, flossing, and visits to the dentist for cleanings. In addition, sensitivity to hot and cold for the next 24 hours is not uncommon. As such, we recommend our patients stay away from hot and cold food and drink for a day or two after they have their teeth whitened.
Should I Get Teeth Whitening?
Our Brite Smile technique is safe and applicable for nearly all of our patients. However, there are a select few groups of people who would benefit less than others from this procedure due to a variety of reasons. These include:
- Tooth and Gum hypersensitivity- If your teeth or gums are hypersensitive, our Raleigh dentist will often give you take-home bleaching trays with a lower concentration of solution. While this process takes longer, it will not aggravate sensitive teeth.
- Deep Staining- If your teeth are significantly stained due to years of smoking or heavy coffee drinking, even our Brite Smile technique may not be enough. In this case, Six Forks Smiles would recommend a regimen of heavier bleaching, crowns, or porcelain veneers.
- Age- While not a disqualifying factor, tooth enamel is worn down by age. Our older dental patients may be given much lighter treatment to prevent damage to their teeth.
- Existing Cosmetic Dental Work- While Brite Smile has demonstrated some ability to bleach crowns and porcelain veneers, the bleaching is uneven compared to natural teeth. Therefore, previously existing cosmetic dentistry may make for an unevenly-white smile. If you are looking to have both teeth whitening and cosmetic dentistry done, Six Forks Smiles generally recommends that the bleaching comes first. We can then match your veneers with the color of your newly-whitened teeth.
- Pregnancy- While pregnancy is not a deal-breaker, Six Forks Smiles recommends that pregnant or nursing women put off their teeth whitening until afterwards, as both your teeth and gums are made extra sensitive by pregnancy and nursing.
Looking for a Cosmetic Dentist in Raleigh?
If you feel you are looking for a whiter and brighter smile, contact Dr. Rebecca Schmorr at Six Forks Smiles to schedule a consultation to learn more about our cosmetic dentistry and teeth whitening services!