Plaque that doesn’t get removed from teeth can turn into tartar in only 24 hours. This is why it is absolutely necessary to brush and floss your teeth properly twice a day. A good oral hygiene routine can help to control plaque and tartar, but give special attention to hard to reach areas.
When you come in to see Dr. Schmorr for a periodontal treatment, she’ll recommend regular cleanings and exams four times a year to help prevent the periodontal disease from coming back. At your appointments, Dr. Schmorr will check the depths of your gum pockets to make sure they are healthy. You’ll also have teeth cleaning to remove difficult plaque and tartar from both above and below the gum line.
Gum Maintenance in Raleigh
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment will usually include:
- Diagnostic x-rays to detect tooth decay, cysts, tumors, and bone loss in your mouth. Your x-rays will also help our Raleigh dentist check your tooth and root positions.
- Checking your existing fillings, crowns, and other restorations you have.
- Checking all the surfaces of your teeth for tooth decay.
- Screen your mouth, gums, neck, throat, cheeks, tongue, and lips for signs of oral cancer.
- Recommendation of products, techniques, and aids for your oral hygiene.
- Teeth cleaning to remove plaque and stains that get missed during tooth brushing.