We all have our favorite foods and drinks. Some of us can’t function without coffee, some like a glass of red wine with dinner, others may like a nice bowl of berries. But a lot of the things in your diet may be causing your smile to be dull. Here are five common foods and drinks that stain your teeth.
1. Coffee – Everyone knows coffee is notorious for staining your teeth. Especially if you drink it black. Adding milk or creamer to your coffee can help to reduce staining.
2. Red wine – Red wine is not only dark in color, but the acidity can cause teeth staining. Drinking water and swishing it around in your mouth in between sips can help to prevent the acid from sticking too much.
3. Berries – Dark berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, cherries, and raspberries have dark juices that cause discoloration of the teeth. Sticking to fruits that are lighter in color can help to keep your teeth pearly white.
4. Sauces – Certain sauces like soy sauce, ketchup and balsamic vinegar are all darkly colored pigments that stick to your teeth. Choosing lightly colored condiments and drinking water in between bites can help prevent sticking and discoloring those teeth.
5. Candy – Not only is candy full of sugar that causes tooth decay, but a lot of candies are colorful. Your tongue often turns another color, meaning your teeth probably will too.
You can still enjoy the foods and drinks you love by taking precautions. Eating and drinking these dark colored treats in moderation, and drinking water along with them can help prevent sticking and discoloration. Visiting your Raleigh family dentist twice a year for a teeth cleaning is important to keep your smile as healthy and white as possible.