Brushing and flossing your teeth each day are step 1 in maintaining a bright, healthy smile. To give your teeth and extra boost and help prevent plaque and decay, some of these foods can give you added benefits.
Foods that are Great For Your Smile
- Dairy – Milk, cheese, and yogurt contain calcium that is needed to build strong bones. Your calcium intake can help fortify your teeth and prevent tooth loss or decay. If you are lactose intolerant, almond milk or leafy green vegetables (like spinach and kale) are other good sources of calcium.
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D has a couple of tooth-fortifying advantages. First of all, it is a key component in helping your body absorb calcium. Secondly, this nutrient helps your body create and rebuild tooth enamel.
- Acidic fruits – Fruits like strawberries, mangoes, and oranges have high malic acid content. Although too much of these acids can wear away at your enamel, average consumption can help dissolve tartar. Eating strawberries every day can have a positive effect. However, the practice of grinding them to a pulp and letting them sit on your teeth could backfire.
- Green Tea – Green tea is rich in antioxidants, which is overall great for flushing out toxins and improving your health. Additionally, these antioxidants can reduce plaque buildup. Green tea also contains fluoride to strengthen enamel.
- Parsley – While gum and mints can freshen your breath, they also include sugars that can eat away at your teeth. Another breath freshening, method is chewing on parsley. Better still, parsley kills bacteria that causes both bad breath and plaque-causing bacteria.
Cosmetic Dentistry in Raleigh
In addition to trying these foods to keep your teeth strong, try a tooth whitening treatment for the brightest smile possible. Call us today at (919) 834-4450, or fill out our contact form to schedule an appointment!