From drinking, eating, to even speaking, your oral health is very important. Being vigilant about dental care including teeth cleaning and gum disease prevention is imperative.
Over time, teeth will accumulate plaque and tartar build up, so it’s important to keep things clean. While daily brushing and flossing are important, getting bi-annual teeth cleanings at our office is essential for preventing mouth diseases and other dental issues that could arise later on. We recommend coming to see our dentists in Raleigh twice a year for routine cleanings and preventative exams. There are a number of dental best practices you can do at home to help prevent dental disease and maintain good oral health.
Call today to schedule your appointment at our dentist office
Deep Teeth Cleaning
Has it been a while since your last teeth cleaning? Are you experiencing pain, bleeding or swollen gums, or bad breath? If so, call our office today to schedule a scaling and root planning or deep cleaning to slow down the effects of periodontal disease. With a deep cleaning, we can remove the damaging bacterial deposits that can destroy your teeth’s support structures including tooth root, soft tissues, and jawbone.
The Benefits of Deep Teeth Cleaning
Tartar or calculus are terms for plaque build up on your teeth. Over time, the plaque can build up above and below the gum line, which can result in future oral issues including periodontal disease. Even though proper hygiene, brushing, and flossing are helpful in preventing plaque, it doesn’t remove all the debris, bacteria, deposits, and food from your gum pockets beneath the gumline, so a deep cleaning is needed on a regular basis to remove those items.
Halitosis or bad breath is a big indicator of advancing periodontal disease because there is usually a combination of rotting food debris and gum infection that can result in bad breath. This can be prevented with a routine visit to your general and family dentist, Six Forks Smiles.
Raleigh Dental Exams and Cleaning
A comprehensive dental exam from Six Forks Smiles will be performed by Dr. Schmorr at your initial dental visit. At your regular check-up exams, our Raleigh dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examine your dental x-rays, checking for tooth decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also detect if tooth or root positions are abnormal.
- Screen for oral cancer: We’ll check your face, neck and throat, mouth, tongue, gums, and tissue for signs or symptoms of oral cancer
- Check your gums and the bones around your mouth to examine your risk for gum disease.
- Examine your teeth for signs of tooth decay, and inspect your teeth with special dental instruments.
- Examine any previous restorations you’ve had, such as fillings or crowns.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Your teeth cleaning (dental prophylaxis) will probably be performed by a Registered Dental Hygienists. When you come in to our Raleigh dental office for your cleaning appointment, you can expect the following:
- Removing the calculus, or tarter that has hardened and been left on the tooth for a period of time. Calculus sticks both above and below the gum line. It can only be removed with special dental tools.
- Removing plaque, a sticky, almost invisible film on the teeth. Plaque is a growing colony of living bacteria, leftover food particles, and saliva. The bacteria from plaque inflames your gums, which is the start of periodontal disease!
- Polishing your teeth to stains and plaque that may be leftover from regular brushing or scaling.
Schedule A Dental Exam or Teeth Cleaning in Raleigh
When it comes to your teeth, you want someone you can trust. Dr. Rebecca Schmorr is a board certified, licensed general and cosmetic Raleigh dentist. Fill out the form below or call us today to schedule your teeth cleaning appointment.