A comprehensive dental exam from Six Forks Smiles will be performed by Dr. Schmorr at your initial dental visit. At your regular check-up exams, our Raleigh dentist and hygienist will perform the following:
- Examine your dental x-rays, checking for tooth decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also detect if tooth or root positions are abnormal.
- Screen for oral cancer: We’ll check your face, neck and throat, mouth, tongue, gums, and tissue for signs or symptoms of oral cancer
- Check your gums and the bones around your mouth to examine your risk for gum disease.
- Examine your teeth for signs of tooth decay, and inspect your teeth with special dental instruments.
- Examine any previous restorations you’ve had, such as fillings or crowns.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Your teeth cleaning (dental prophylaxis) will probably be performed by a Registered Dental Hygienists. When you come in to our Raleigh dental office for your cleaning appointment, you can expect the following:
- Removing the calculus, or tarter that has hardened and been left on the tooth for a period of time. Calculus sticks both above and below the gum line. It can only be removed with special dental tools.
- Removing plaque, a sticky, almost invisible film on the teeth. Plaque is a growing colony of living bacteria, leftover food particles, and saliva. The bacteria from plaque inflames your gums, which is the start of periodontal disease!
- Polishing your teeth to stains and plaque that may be leftover from regular brushing or scaling.