Periodontal disease is the major cause of tooth loss in adults. It starts off as plaque, an opaque bacterial film which eventually hardens forming tartar or calculus. Calculus deposits harbor bacteria which infect the gums. The way to repair the damage is to get rid of the infection and close up the pockets. Until recently that meant scalpel surgery and sutures.
If you have been told you have periodontal disease (gum disease) and have been told you need to have surgery, there IS an alternative: laser-assisted new attachment procedure (LANAP) called PerioLase.
LANAP is the only laser-assisted procedure certified by the FDA for treatment of periodontitis or gum disease. This breakthrough procedure can actually regenerate new gum and bone tissue, as shown in Dental university studies.
Dr. Schmorr is your Raleigh dentist who can perform LANAP PerioLase.
Benefits of Laser Periodontal Treatment
- There’s much less discomfort than with standard surgery. There is no cutting with scalpels and no suturing. You won’t have to worry about bleeding, stitches, or postoperative infections because your gums have not been cut.
- LANAP takes less time than traditional surgery: two 2-hour office visits for the actual procedure and two follow-up visits. Traditional surgery averages 8-10 office visits.
- LANAP is less costly than traditional gum surgery and research shows it gives better longer-lasting results. In fact, 98% of LPT treated patients remain stable after 5 years, while only 5% reportedly remain stable after surgery.
- Following traditional surgery, recovery can take between 2 – 4 weeks during which patients can experience considerable pain and swelling, where they may be restricted to a liquid or soft diet. After LANAP a soft diet is recommended for a day or two, and common sense should prevail, but in most cases, patients feel good enough to eat anything they wish right after the procedure.
- There is less than a 24-hour recovery period so you won’t lose time from work, and LANAP LASER PERIODONTAL THERAPY is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, hemophilia, HIV, or those taking medications such as Coumadin or Cyclosporin.
Schedule an Appointment With Your Raleigh Cosmetic Dentist!
When it comes to your dental needs, you need someone you can trust. Raleigh dentist, Dr. Schmorr, DDS is a board certified and licensed cosmetic dentist. She will be able to help you with a tooth crown to get you back to smiling again. Call us to schedule an appointment today or fill out the schedule and our staff will call you.